This content originally appeared on Low Carb Yum. Republished with permission.
The first time I made low-carb cinnamon rolls, I never shared them on my blog because I didn’t love the texture. Cinnamon rolls need to be soft and chewy. Otherwise, they just aren’t right.
But a few years later, I had the idea to use the fathead dough from my low-carb bagels. That dough uses coconut flour, which I prefer to almond flour.
Sure enough, coconut flour was the answer! I was so impressed with how these keto cinnamon rolls turned out the second time. The dough is light and fluffy, like a traditional pastry, with just the right amount of sweetness.
These remind me so much of Cinnabon rolls, especially when served warm! They are amazing fresh out of the oven. If eating them later, I recommend reheating them in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
Coconut flour cinnamon rolls make for a delicious grab-and-go breakfast, or the perfect treat to savor alongside your morning coffee. They are also very straightforward to make.
Keto Cinnamon Rolls
It’s simple to make low-carb cinnamon rolls using coconut flour fathead dough. Serve them warm with melted cream cheese icing on top. They are a heavenly treat any time of day.
- 60 grams coconut flour about ½ cup
- ¼ cup low-carb sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoon baking powder can be cut in half to reduce sodium but may not rise as well
- 250 grams mozzarella cheese shredded, about 2-½ cups
- 55 grams cream cheese 2 ounces
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter melted, add a bit more if needed and use unsalted to reduce sodium
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ¼ cup low-carb brown sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter softened, can be omitted but gives a better filling taste
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- ¼ cup Swerve Confectioners Powdered Sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- low-carb almond or coconut milk if needed
Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9×13-inch pan baking pan if needed.
Mix coconut flour, low-carb sweetener, and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
Melt mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in microwave on high power for one minute. Stir. Place back in microwave on high for another minute. Stir.
Add in beaten eggs, butter, vanilla extract (if using), and coconut flour mixture until a dough is formed. Dough should be a bit wet and sticky. If dry, try adding in another egg or more butter.
Roll dough out into a rectangle about 9×12 inches.
In small bowl, combine the brown low-carb sweetener with cinnamon. Spread butter evenly over the dough then sprinkle the cinnamon mix on top.
Roll dough into a log starting at one of the shorter ends. Slice into 1-inch thick rounds.
Rounds into prepared baking pan. Bake at 400°F for about 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
In a medium mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Beat in the powdered sweetener and vanilla extract. Add in a little low-carb milk (coconut or almond) if needed to thin the icing.
Pecans can be added to the cinnamon mixture if desired.
Keto Cinnamon Rolls
Amount Per Serving (1 roll)
Calories 209 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 10g63%
Vitamin A 590IU12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Please note that the nutritional information may vary depending on the specific brands of products used. We encourage everyone to check specific product labels in calculating the exact nutritional information.
Post Views: 2
Read more about low-carb diet.