Over the years, wine has undergone intensive studies and it has been proven to have impressive health benefits. Now, what better time to learn more about this than on National Red Wine Day 2021, which is celebrated every August 28. As you enjoy your drink, here are eight surprising science-backed red wine health benefits. Cheers!
1. Keeps your mind sharp – Thanks to the antioxidant resveratrol, red wine is proven to help slow down the neurological damage associated with the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. This means wine can help you stay sharp even in old age.
2. Better skin – Red wine is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols, which are plant-based compounds that have been proven to help restore collagen and elastic fibers, resulting in younger, fresher and more supple skin.
3. Regulates blood sugar – Another benefit of resveratrol in red wine is that it curbs blood sugar levels in diabetic people. A previous study states that drinking a glass a day “moderately decreases the cardiometabolic risk” of people that have Type 2 diabetes.
4. Helps keep you slim – You’ll be pleased to know that a chemical compound called piceatannol found in red wine can help reduce fat cells, so you can better manage your weight. The compound is able to achieve this by blocking cellular processes that let fat cells thrive.
5. Stops acne breakouts – Resveratrol in wine is also capable of inhibiting the growth of acne-causing bacteria and helps keep your skin younger-looking. It works better when used alongside benzoyl peroxide to banish acne and pimple breakouts.
6. Helps with depression – Aside from helping you relax, drinking red wine can also reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. Of course, this is only effective as long as you drink wine in moderation, as it’s still an alcoholic drink.
7. Clear vision – Resveratrol found in red wine is also helpful in stopping out-of-control blood vessel growth in the eyes. Research also suggests that this antioxidant compound can help with the treatment of diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration.
8. Protects your dental health – Surprisingly, wine’s antimicrobial effects are also effective in reducing bacteria on our teeth — another health benefit you can enjoy whenever you pour yourself a glass.
Best Red Wine Brands
Now that you’ve learned about the many health benefits of wine, here’s our best wine list to help you celebrate National Red Wine Day! Check out the best red wine brands you can order online today!
Best enjoyed with your favorite dessert, the Abbazia Moscato Rośe Dolce is a non-vintage Rośe Moscato with flavor notes of candied strawberries, peaches, apricots and even bubblegum. Produced in the Piedmont region of Italy and comes in a wonderful pink-hued bottle.
A fun and spritzy white wine from the Lombardy province in Northern Italy, the Abbazia Moscato Vino Dolce I.G.T. is a bestselling simple, sweet and beautiful floral in its approach, making it an ideal aperitif or the perfect companion to your dessert.
If you’re a Prosecco fan, then check this out. The Abbazia Cuvée Prestige is produced using the Charmat method, which ensures a refreshing, sparkling wine with just the right amount of flavors and tiny bubbles. As for the taste, expect golden apples and spring flowers on top of a dry finish with every sip.
A favorite of wine connoisseurs, the Wolfson Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon presents a bold and rich flavor that is easy on the tongue. Featuring notes of black currant, black cherry and cassis, this wine will go well with meat dishes like steak or lamb as well as pasta dishes.
One of the most unique and exciting bottles of wine you can try this year is the 2018 Sierra Trails Old Vine Zinfandel which perfectly captures the organic taste of the region where it’s from. Rich and deeply textured, this wine perfectly showcases the grapes it is made from.
For a modern vintage, the 2019 Monarch Glen Merlot offers beautiful fragrances of dried red cherries, roasted plums and has an aged silky texture. You’ll discover its boldness and roundness, making it a powerful and concentrated drink.
A modern classic, the 2018 Bayshore Vintners Pinot Noir is a California Pinot Noir that is light on the palate. With a ripe fruit flavor and smooth delivery, this affordable bottle is the perfect starter for any dinner.
An award-winning wine produced in California, the 2019 Fair Oaks Ranch Merlot is a bold and fruit-forward wine bursting with notes of plum, cherry, butterscotch and vanilla. Made with some of the world’s most prestigious grapes, this wine is a sure crowd-pleaser that pairs wonderfully with meat-based and savory dishes.